Fiji Shark Studies
This course surveys the natural history, biology, ecological and social importance, threats and conservation of sharks. The coursework consists of both academic discussions and hands on field research examining local shark species and global populations.
- Examine sharks and their relatives from an interdisciplinary perspective that includes comparative anatomy, physiology, ecology, behaviour, conservation and international relations.
- Survey similarities and differences among major shark groupings
- Understand the importance of diverse tropical marine systems and the role of apex predators in ecological health
- Explore the use of Marine Protected Areas and the importance of connected habitats in mobile marine animal
- Discuss and learn about the importance of sharks in Fijian culture